Oops! This site has expired. If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.

Delaware Children In Nature



The Delaware Division of Fish and Wildlife, The Delaware National Estuarine Research Reserve, Delaware State Parks, and Delaware Nature Society have created family-friendly outdoor activities for you and your family! Print out your free Rx card and head to one of our program providers! Leave your name and email with the program provider for a chance to win a free give-away item. We will meet you outdoors!

You will find hard copies of these cards in the following locations:


Beacon Pediatrics

All Boys and Girls Clubs in Delaware

Delaware Agricultureal Museum

Delaware Nature Society

Delaware National Estuarine Research and Reserve

Delaware State Parks


For Delaware adults in 2015, 36.9% reported BMIs that are considered overweight, and 29.9% of adults reported BMIs considered “obese.”   So the combined total of “overweight or obese” in 2015 was 66.8%.   [Source: Delaware Health & Social Services, Division of Public Health, Behavioral Risk Factor Survey (BRFSS), 2015].


The high school Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) gives us data on high school students in the state.  In 2015, 27.9% of public high school students reported they watch television 3 or more hours a day on average school days.  That has been trending downward since 1999 when it was 43.1%


The percentage  of students who “played video or computer games or used computers for non-school purposes for 3 or more hours on average school days” was 35.6%.   That has been trending upward from 28.1% in 2007.   However, it was down slightly from 39.8% in 2013. 

[Source:  Delaware Health and Social Services, Division of Public Health, Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS), 2015]


In  the 2015 YRBS, 31.6% of public high school students reported BMIs which are either overweight or obese.  It was equally split:  15.8% overweight, and 15.8% obese.  [Source:  Delaware Health and Social Services, Division of Public Health, Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS), 2015]


The National Survey of Children’s Health, most recently conducted in 2011-12, had enough sample in Delaware to produce Delaware estimates for youth age 10 to 17.  Their survey  produced a prevalence of 32% being either overweight or obese.  That’s very close to what we saw in 2015 in the high school YRBS.  [Source: The Child and Adolescent Health Measurement Initiative (CAHMI), 2011-2012. Click here for more information.